To all players looking to visit a club – we will try to keep the pages up to date but it is always best to phone before visiting a club for the first time.
Melville Scrabble Club
- Wednesday nights from 7 p.m. at the Mellville Cafe, 7th Street.
- Organiser: Carola Cullum (carolacullum AT gmail.com)
- Tel: +2711 717-6425
- Cell: 082 969 7058
Roosevelt park Thursday Morning Scrabble Club
- Roosevelt park recreation Centre, Preller drive, Roosevelt Park
- Contact: Sandra Meyberg
- email: email@example.com cell:082-925-1464 landline:011-678-4830
- Usually about 20 players of varying levels. Very sociable club and beginners are most welcome. 3 or 4 games are played with the second being a competition game.
- R5 gets you tea/coffee, cake and Scrabble.
Paterson Park Scrabble Club
- Wednesday and Saturday Afternoons, 14h00 Paterson Park Recreation Centre
- Contact Lyn Roth Wednesday
- Colleen and Gerry Moore Saturday
Centurion Scrabble Club
- The Centurion Scrabble Club is a thriving organization with a regular attendance of 10-12 enthusiastic members. Scrabbling takes place on Tuesdays from 12 noon, rain or shine: stalwart scrabblers are not deterred by extreme heat, rain, wind or cold. The games are usually one-on-one but, in the event of an odd number of attendants, three will battle it out. New and inexperienced scrabblers are welcome and need not feel intimidated by champion old-timers.
- Jackie Nortier is the driving force behind this club which she founded in May, 2005. She also holds the record for a game score (637) as well as for the highest scoring word (212 for SQUARING – a 9-timer – which obviously contributed to the record score). Another outstanding score for a single word was achieved by Herta: 203 for SQUIRMED. Bonus words abound on a good scrabbling day. The record number is 23 from 8 players, 7 contributed by Ross. As for outlandish words acceptable in Scrabble but rarely heard in English conversation, they are mind-blowing and laughter-provoking.
- There is definitely a competitive spirit among scrabblers at this club, but it is softened by good-humoured banter, lively discussion of controversial subjects and camaraderie. Above all, playing Scrabble is FUN. Tournament rules are not enforced: there is no ticking clock driving you to distraction while you are trying to think, you can look up words before putting them on the board. This flexible approach enables players to learn more words without the fear of forfeiting score if the word is challenged and found to be non-existent. In this way, a fine balance is struck between competition and social Scrabble.
- So if the prospect of playing Scrabble at a pleasant, relaxed venue sounds attractive, contact Jackie on (012) 654 5281 or 083 376 1566. She will tell you what you need to know.
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
Benoni Scrabble Club
- This club has been running for 19 years and is currently under the leadership of Kathy Cameron. They host a tournament towards the end of each year.
- They meet Thursday nights at 19h00 at number 25 11th avenue, Northmead, Benoni.
- Fees are R20.00 per month or R200.00 for the whole year.
- Contact Kathy on 011 8495911 (after hours) or 011 6522822 (work) or 082 938 8744 (cell)
Thornton scrabble Club
- Headed by Anita Kassel email@example.com Tel 021 5314917. We meet on Tuesday night from 7.30 p.m. at the PINELANDS BOWLING CLUB, Central Square, Pinelands.
Library at 7.30.pm The club is bursting at its seams and cannot handle new members at this stage, but if there is a lot of interest we will look at some alternative too.
Retreat Scrabble Club
- Meet on Thursdays at the Meadowridge Library, Howard Drive, Meadowridge at 7.45pm. Carol Parker heads up the club, her number is 0825957368 or 021 715 3247 firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Lansdowne Scrabble Club
- Wed at 6.30pm at Kenilworth Centre Food Court headed up by Estelle Marnie tel 021 697 2664
Rhodes University scrabble club
- Contact Thabang Brian Mokoena
- Cell 078 691 5321
- Rhodes University
- Kimberly Hall
- Kimberly East
Northern Cape Northwest Free State
Hillcrest Scrabble Club
Mary Botha (firstname.lastname@example.org)
083 339 0437
031 765 3802